Supporting Emerging Artists
Tantrum Residency 2022
Applications close 11:59PM Friday 12 November
In 2022, the Tantrum Residency (in partnership with Shopfront Arts and Critical Stages Touring) will support three local emerging artists or teams to create their own new work and build professional connections to help them develop sustainable careers in the arts.
From January- April 2022, Tantrum will provide these selected artist/teams with space and the opportunity to forge professional connections around the creative development of their own new performance work. We will also match these selected artist/teams with an industry mentor, providing invaluable feedback and guidance to the selected artist/teams. Past Tantrum Residency mentors have included Mish Grigor, Malcolm Whittaker, Yumi Umiumare, Jodee Mundy and Erth Visual & Physical.
After 4 months of development, the resident artists will present aspects of their new works to the public in a combined season of work-in-progress ‘sharings’ at Tantrum’s studio in Merewether.
The opportunity is open to artists aged between 18 and 30 (or those in the first five years of practice) who are interested in live performance through the lens of any or a mix of forms, including theatre, visual art, dance, digital art, music and more.
Tantrum Residency is the perfect opportunity to test and refine ideas, seek feedback, and engage in the rigorous process of developing a new work while supported by the Hunter’s leading professional youth arts organisation.
Additionally, Critical Stages Touring have offered to contribute to accommodation and travel costs for a regional Hunter-based artist (i.e., living more than 1hr from Newcastle) to get involved in Tantrum Residency.
What will residency artists receive?
- Access to the Tantrum Studio for development/rehearsal from February to April 2022 – specific dates/times by negotiation
- Mentoring by an established professional artist in a relevant field
- Regular catch ups with other residents and Tantrum’s artistic team
- An excursion to Sydney to connect with Shopfront’s ArtsLab residents and attend the presentation of their new works (February 2022, exact date TBC)
- A masterclass with Critical Stages Touring around independent producing and the future touring of your work
- The opportunity to present a development showing of your new work alongside other residents as part of a presentation season at Tantrum from 30 April to 1 May 2022
- Technical support around the presentation season
How can I apply?
- Complete an online application form by 11:59pm, Friday 12 November 2021
- Shortlisted applicants will be invited to interview on Friday 26 November 2021
- The successful artists will be notified before the end of November 2021
Who can apply?
This opportunity is for early-career artists aged between 18 and 30 (or in the first 5 years of practice) who are interested in live performance through the lens of any or a mix of forms, including theatre, visual art, dance, digital art, music and more.
We encourage local artists residing in Newcastle, the greater Hunter, Lake Macquarie or the Central Coast to apply but accept applications from those coming from elsewhere. Tantrum welcomes diversity and we encourage applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds, and people with disability.
If you are unsure if you are eligible to apply or if you require additional support with your application please email Tantrum’s Creative Producer David Williams at email@example.com.