The Trajectory program is proudly supported by City of Newcastle.
Trajectory Ensemble is an annual program of professional development for emerging artists interested in collaborative, process-driven performance making. Each year, the project is facilitated by a professional artist to create and present a daring new performance work, while supporting participants to develop their own sustainable practice. The Ensemble is open to artists aged 18-26 or within their first 5 years of professional practice.
Check out Sorry to Cut You Off, Penny – the new play that was developed and presented by Trajectory Ensemble 2019.
This year, the Ensemble will collaborate with critically acclaimed theatre and performance artist Nat Randall. Nat creates daring work at the intersection of live performance, video and film. In 2016, she co-created the celebrated durational work The Second Woman, where she performs for 24 hours straight with 100 different men she’s never met before. Since its premiere at Next Wave Festival in Melbourne, The Second Woman has been presented across Australia and around the world, including performances in Hobart, Sydney, Perth, Adelaide, Taiwan, Toronto and New York (where Alia Shawkat of Arrested Development fame played the lead role).
With Nat, the Ensemble will have the opportunity to experience an exciting multi-arts collaboration, exploring ideas of liveness and improvisation across performance, video, visual arts and sound. In partnership with Newcastle’s very own contemporary art space The Lock-Up, The Ensemble will devise a unique event to accentuate the live moment within this historical site. Nat will encourage each Ensemble member to stretch their creative practice in new directions through experimental processes of expression and exchange that make room for randomness, accidents and failure.
The work developed by the Trajectory Ensemble will be presented at The Lock-Up in November 2020.
Want to get involved?
Expressions of Interest to be part of the Trajectory Ensemble 2020 are now open. To apply:
- Click ‘Apply Now’ and complete the EOI form by 5PM Friday 6 March 2020.
- Attend the Taster Workshop with facilitator Nat Randall on Saturday 21 March 2020 from 2pm-4pm at Tantrum Studio, 101 City Road, Merewether (entry via Allworth Street).
- Following the Taster Workshop, Tantrum will offer up to 8 emerging artists a place in the 2020 Ensemble.
- To participate in Trajectory Ensemble 2020, you will need to become a member of Tantrum Youth Arts ($25).
Taster workshop: 2pm-4pm, Saturday 21 March 2020.
- Saturday 4 (12-6pm) & Sunday 5 April (10am-4pm)
- Saturday 2 (12-6pm) & Sunday 3 May (10am-4pm)
- Monday 29 June –Friday 3 July (9am-3pm each day)
- Saturday 8 (12-6pm) & Sunday 9 August (10am-4pm)
- Saturday 12 (12-6pm) & Sunday 13 September (10am-4pm)
- Saturday 10 (12-6pm) & Sunday 11 October (10am-4pm)
- Saturday 31 October (12-6pm) & Sunday 1 November (10am-4pm)
Production/Presentation week – The Lock Up, Newcastle
Monday 9 – Sunday 15 November
N.B: Specific call times during production/presentation to be confirmed, though full days (and some nights) can be expected.