(02) 4929 7279

Youth Arts in the Hunter for over 45 Years
Make Noise.


Where Can I Get Help?


The role of the NSW Police is to work with the community to reduce violence, crime and fear. Domestic violence and image-based abuse are both crimes. If you are experiencing domestic violence, image-based abuse or you are afraid for your safety (or the safety of someone else) you can contact the Police for help.

How Do I Contact The Police?

If you are in immediate danger, call 000.

If not, you can visit or call your local Police station. Find it here.

What Will Happen If I Contact The Police?

If you or someone else calls 000:

When Police attend a domestic violence incident, their first priority is to make sure everyone is safe. This might involve calling for an ambulance if there is someone injured at the scene.

The Police will want to speak to all the people at the scene. They will listen to you, ask you questions, and record details of the incident.

The Police will investigate the incident(s) and may charge the offender.

You / your family may be referred to a Domestic Violence Liaison Officer (DVLO) who will provide support and guidance to your family, and will connect you with relevant community support services.

If the Police have concerns for your safety, they may apply for an Apprehended Violence Order (AVO) on your behalf. An AVO is a court order which aims to protect a person from another person who causes them to fear for their safety.

An AVO can protect a person from:​

  • violence or threats of violence
  • stalking
  • intimidation
  • harassment
  • property damage or threatened damage.

Subscribe to Tantrum e-news!

What's On