Teacher Professional Learning
All For One: Collaborative Script Writing for Drama and English Students
This Teacher Professional Learning (TPL) workshop has been designed by Tantrum and Story Factory.
Is it crazy to ask 80 students to write the one play? Yes… but in the best of ways!
The NESA-accredited TPL workshop is based on a collaboration between the Story Factory and Belvoir St Theatre in 2018, where they worked together with four high schools in Western Sydney to develop a brand new play. The All For One project prioritised student voice, collaboration and creativity, providing those involved with a real world outcome for their writing.
In this TPL workshop, the facilitators will share the process, explain how activities used in the project might be utilised in schools, and provide participants with the resources and structure to create a small–scale version of the project in their own school or community.
- be guided through a series of engaging generative activities, which can be used to assist students with the development of character, creation of dramatically compelling scenes and tips about how to use setting to enhance storytelling
- be introduced to collaborative writing methods that enable the effective sharing of story elements across large groups of students
- participate in model activities that show how to use improvisation as a tool to assist with the development of character and scenes
- be introduced to methods for assisting students through the process of organising and re–drafting material
As part of the workshop, participants will be provided with a collection of the resources required to start their own collaborative script writing project. The materials provided in this workshop are flexible and easily adapted to classroom situations. They can be used as part of a large collaborative writing project or as independent writing and drama activities.
4 hours of NESA Registered PL addressing 1.2.2 and 1.5.2 from the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers towards maintaining Proficient Teacher Accreditation in NSW.
- 1.2.2 Structure teaching programs using research and collegial advice about how students learn.
- 1.5.2 Develop teaching activities that incorporate differentiated strategies to meet the specific learning needs of students across the full range of abilities.
Want to get involved?
We’re interested in offering this TPL workshop to teachers in the Newcastle, Hunter, Lake Macquarie and Central Coast areas, whether on-site in the Tantrum Studio (Merewether) or in your own school.
Please contact Tantrum for further information.