The Trajectory program is proudly supported by City of Newcastle.
Tantrum’s Trajectory Residency is an annual program providing space, mentoring and technical support to selected emerging artists or groups for the creative development of exciting new performance work.
Trajectory Residency is the perfect opportunity to test and refine ideas, seek feedback and engage in the rigorous process of developing a new work, all with the support of Newcastle’s leading professional youth arts organisation.
In 2019, Tantrum is partnering with Newcastle Museum and Crack Festival to offer TWO residencies for emerging artists/groups. This exciting evolution of our residency program will support artists to develop new ideas and new performance through the provision of:
- Rehearsal/workshop space (minimum 70 hours)
- Mentoring by an established professional artist in your field
- The opportunity to present a development showing of the new work at Crack Festival (as part of This is Not Art) in Newcastle in October 2019
- A living allowance of $500 to support the artist(s) during the development of their work
- Access to office space, printing and Wi-Fi
- Administrative and marketing support
- Access to sound, lighting and AV equipment
Through the support of City of Newcastle, this year we’re partnering with Newcastle Museum to encourage emerging artists to take the plunge or continue to make their own original creative work in the Hunter. We’re inviting resident artists to propose and develop projects that respond to the Museum in some way, whether an item, story, exhibit, feature or space.
- Your idea can have a direct link to the Museum (e.g., responding to a specific object, working site-specifically, etc.) or derive from a more abstract connection (e.g., broader themes implied by aspects of the collection).
- If you already have an idea you want to explore, fantastic! Chances are there will be some aspect of the Museum that will deepen your exploration and/or assist in the development of your work.
After the EOI process, shortlisted artists will be invited to attend a guided tour of the Museum with Director Julie Baird. The purpose of this is to introduce you to the Museum’s collections and help spark some creative ideas.
Crack Festival is part of This is Not Art and happens each year in Newcastle over the October long weekend. This year Crack is teaming up with five art companies across NSW who support the development of young artists and experimental work to present GENERATE. Supported by Create NSW, the GENERATE program provides mentorship, creative development and producing support to young and emerging artists creating exciting new work. Through our partnership with Crack Festival, the Trajectory Resident artists will be part of GENERATE this year.
How to apply:
- Complete an online EOI form by 24 May 2019 to express your interest in undertaking a residency with Tantrum this year. The purpose of this stage is for us to get to know you, your interests and your arts practice. You do not need to have an idea for a new work to complete an EOI.
- Applicants will be shortlisted from the EOI stage and invited to attend a guided tour of Newcastle Museum with Director Julie Baird on Saturday 8 June 2019.
- Shortlisted applicants will then complete a full proposal due on 30 June 2019.
- The successful artists will be notified in July with residencies taking place between late July-September 2019.
This opportunity is for emerging artists 18-26 years of age, or in the first five years of their arts practice. We encourage local artists residing in Newcastle, the greater Hunter or the Central Coast to apply but accept applications from those coming from elsewhere. If you are unsure if you are eligible to apply, please contact us on 4929 7279 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss.
Tantrum Youth Arts encourages applications from artists from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds, Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander heritage, the LGBTQIA+ community and people with a disability. If you require specific support to apply for this opportunity please let us know.